Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Dance Like There's No Tomorrow (My Journey Back to Dance)

Some of you know already that I will be involved in charity performance with Open House Dance. Its been 10 years since I have performed and I am so hyped about getting back to dance. The auditions are on May 4th and I know one of the choreographers that is heading the show. He was the one that actually got me to do this. I have kept telling him how excited I was and he suggested I take his hip hop class to get my feet wet.

On Wednesday I went to the hip hop class. This is the first class I have taken in 2 years and its a class full of dancers and not a gym aerobics class. I was very nervous for a week but at the same time I was ready to jump into it. The class started last week so I missed the first week of dance steps.

I walked in the dance studio with a flash back of a kid that walked in the dance studio 14 years ago. Only this time I walked in with a confidence, something I didn't have back then. I took off my jacket started to get ready. I noticed everyone around me stretching and talking to each other. I kept to myself and started to stretch. I walked in the studio and had this amazing feeling of being home.

The class started with a half hour warm up that kicked my butt. The choreography started and I was overwhelmed with dance moves I had to learn in 10min that the rest learned in an hour. I nailed it! Ken, the choreographer, kept saying that I kept up with the best of them. I told him that I hadn't taken a class in 2 years, he said he would've never known. It was quite amazing to hear that kind of praise from a professional.

Class is being held next week again and needless to say, that shy little boy that walked in to the studio has grown up. I am so ready to continue my journey back to dance.

No comments: