Monday, April 28, 2008

Book Club: Purpose Drivien Life Ch.2 "You Are Not An Accident"


I know I am a bit behind posting the daily chapters of this book and I apologize. We are suppose to read a chapter a day in order to go through the 40 day spiritual journey of finding our purpose driven life.


Chapter 2: You are Not An Accident


The author says that we are not accidents, our birth was planned by God prior to conception. He says fate. luck, nor chance have anything to do with our existance. Every part of our body and talents are planned by God including our race and nationality.


Rick Warren sayds that "there is a God who made you for a reason, and your life has profound meaning! We discover that meaning and purpose only when we make God the reference point of our lives."


The author was quite repetitive in this chapter. The chapter was short but it felt like over and over he kept saying we are not an accident. I think this chapter was not completely necessary as he even included a poem as a filler. I agree that we are not accidents and we have a purpose and meaning to our lives. Finding them is the task. He did include some great points in the chapter though:



  • We have illegitimate parents not illegitimate children.

  • Love is the essence of God's character

  • God made us as an expression of his love

Warren leaves us with the following:


Point to Ponder: "I am not an accident."


Verse to Remember: "I am your Creator. You were in my care even before you were born."


Question to Consider: I know that God uniquely created me. What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept?


Ya'll notice the last question did not include sexuality? If God created us uniquely then he created me as a gay man for a purpose. Why did the author not address that part? I have a couple of guesses.

No comments: