Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Oprah Moment (Grandparents)

Abuelita

Abuelita is Spanish for Grandmother and that is who I just blogged about. My grandmother passed away on 12/25/2007. She was very sick and has been for almost two years now.

I met my grandmother when I was 8 years old on my first trip to Mexico. My dad never really could afford to take us to Mexico. After years of telling us of his mother, our father finally could take us to Mexico and I met her. All I could remember is that she hugged me so tight and cried. At 8 I knew that I wanted to get to know her.

I went back to Mexico four years later and then back again at 16. My grandmother received me with complete open arms and joy. One day during that trip my grandmother asked me if I loved her. She asked me if I loved my maternal grandmother more than her. I answered her that I did love her. But honestly, I didn’t know her so I didn’t love her as much as my other grandmother. It is then that I decided to make it my mission to love my grandmother.

I went every year after that and got to know her. I wanted to know about her life, her struggles, and her love. I became an adult and financially set so I began to buy her things that she could not afford. I wanted her to have nice things and I wanted her to enjoy her golden years. It was last year that my grandmother told me that she loves me and that I have showed her more love than her grandchildren and some of her own children. She told me how proud she was to be my grandmother. She also told me that no matter what my life entailed, she accepts it and loves me no matter what.

My brothers may not have chosen to be a part of her life as much as I have and it’s their complete loss. I have learned so much from her and she will always be with me.

If you have grandparents, cherish them. Sometimes we get caught up with every day life and can forget those that are older. Our grandparents come from a different generation and a different time. Take a moment to know their story, get to know their life you may be inspired to live your life to the fullest.

No comments: