Thursday, March 27, 2008

Rodri's Comeback! The Journey Begins

Paula Abdul has enjoyed a successful comeback to the music scene releasing her first single in 13 years. Now, following the footsteps of my American Idol, it's my turn.

Many of you may not know but I use to be in a dance company called Urban Junction, back in 1994. I started my brief dance career in college when one day, as I was walking to class, I saw an audition for a dance concert called "Retrospectives: Dance Styles From the 70's, 80's, and 90's." I had no formal dance training but I knew I liked to dance. I walked in the audition and saw people stetching and doing dance things on a bar. I knew I was out of place. They gave me a list of three songs that I had to perform, Michael Jackson, a 70's joint, and some song I had never heard. I danced and followed. I smiled the entire time and I won over the choreograhper. I spoke to her afterwards for almost an hour and I got the part. Not only did I get the part in the concert, it went so well that I won a scholarship for dance at school. I was the kid off the street with no training and didn't know any dance terms. It was tough but I managed to blend with the dancers. They all treated me so good.

I then performed in several musical events and eventually joined Urban Junction. We performed in many venues including the Harold Washington Theater downtown. The dance life was cool as hell and it was an amazing feeling being able to express myself in ways I didn't know I could. It has been over 10 years since I last stepped on stage to perform, until now!

On May 4th I have Reverse Auditions with "Open House Dance." The reverse auditions means we will preview 6 different choreographers and their style of movement along with music. I pick the choreographer I choose to dance with. I have rehearsal over the next few months and our performance will be premiered downtown Thursday- Saturday July 31-August 2. Tickets will be $15 to watch our performances and its all for charity.

I will write a memoir of my journey back to dance through auditions and rehearsals leading up to the performance. I am very excited and nervous at the same time. Keep checking the blog for updates.

Check out more info on Open House:

About:
Open House Dance Collective is now in its Fifth year creating dance and involving the Chicago community as artists, performers, audiences, and partners in growing awareness for local charities. OHDC is a sibling art-based company to Second Floor Dance and Fusebox Art Collective, all under the name of parent production company, HouseHold Arts Collective.

Mission:
Open House Dance Collective has a steadfast mission to promote and foster interest in, and appreciation for, dance by expanding the Chicago Dance Community to include the community at large. By developing an innovative environment which provides opportunities for experienced choreographers to create new danceworks, and for community members to learn and perform, Open House Dance Collective produces professional-quality performances that benefit local charities, supporting a wide range of social interests.

No comments: