Friday, June 20, 2008

Grandpa!

I wrote a story about my grandfather last month who is battling cancer. When I heard of the cancer, I had high hopes. The doctors were very optimistic of his recovery and he said he was ready to fight.



He had 6 weeks of chemo and radiation and things were looking up. He was very ill because of the chemo but it looked like he was on his way to recovery. Just last week he was rushed to the hospital where it was discovered that the cancer had spread to his lungs. The cancer keeps causing his lungs to be filled with fluids and he has episodes where he feels like he is drowning.



He has been given a life expectency of 2 mos without chemo and 18mos with chemo given that he can withstand the chemo. My aunt is a nurse and is actually thinking that he will pass in a matter of a few weeks. We are all rushing to Vegas to see him.



I have been living in this fairytale land where I never imagined life without my grandpa. Many people have grandparents arent close to them, I was. I dont have a relationship with my dad and never felt that I needed one because my dad is my grandpa. He was there in my kindergarden graduation, my first communion, my eigth grade graduation, my high school graduation, and my adult life. I speak to him once a week and we have such a tight bond.



Now I must face that I am losing him! The hardest thing in my life! I am rushing to his side to say the things that I will never be able to say to him. What am I gonna say? What does there need to be said? I love him and he is my life, my soul, my idol. I want to hug him and just lay next to him and take away his pain. I am losing my dad! I just was not prepared for this I never thought this day would come. My heart aches for him and for us.

If I had children, I would want my kids to see the man that I have aspired to be my entire life. The man that I strived to make him proud. The man who has more courage than any other man I know. The man that comforts me with his voice. The man I can't imagine my life without.



I am off to see him and to say our final words. I won't be writing for a few days to dedicate my time to my idol and my grandmother, who is losing her soulmate.

My Grandpa! Mi Abuelo! Mi Papa!



My grandpa! Mi abuelo! Mi papa!

1 comment:

VeryValdivia said...

Hey Rod, I just came across your blog last week and I love it. I just recently started blogging myself and added your blog to my list of recommended blogs. I'm sorry to hear about your abuelito. I know how hard it is to lose an abuelo.

Jorge